
Thanks to my friend Mark, I've found a new hobby called kiteboarding. It's great because it gets you out onto the water (a time tested, proven method to combat island fever) and it also happens to be a blast to try. It's not a cheap sport to get into (just ask Angie), but that also works in sort of an advantage to limit the number of people who do it. Like anything else, it's easy to get hurt doing it, but that just contributes to the adrenaline rush that fuels the fun, right? The basics are a kite, a harness, and a board...and of course the wind, but that part's free! That's another huge advantage, once you buy your gear, there's no lift ticket, or park entrance fee involved, you just need a little bit of clear beach, some good wind, and a friend to help you launch. You can even do this on snow (with a snowboard) or on land with other gear. The water is quite a bit more forgiving though, so I'll be sticking to the current method for now. I've been out trying this for the past 3-4 weekends and I've certainly had my share of falls and drags, along with drinking/inhaling plenty of saltwater, but the few times I've gotten up on the board have been way cool. I've definitely got the bug, so I'll keep you posted once I'm finally up and riding with a little confidence...
No comments:
Post a Comment