Friday, October 10, 2008

2 months and counting

Two of our good friends just PCS'ed off island this week and they are the first of our close knit group of friends to move.  Watching the nostalgia of what they were going through only set into motion what is soon to come for us.  As much as I can say I am not a warm weathered gal, Okinawa has been a beautiful home to us for the past two years.  I keep thinking of the things that I will no longer experience and need to enjoy while we still have it.  So here is a short list thus far in no paticular order.

1. Excellent Customer Service

2. The crazy stoplights that somehow make sense.

3. Jusco (The local shopping mall/grocery store)

4. The food.

5. The car names:  'Move',  'Naked', 'Spacio', 'Surf', 'Sparky'

6.  The fact that the fastest you can go on island is 80 (50 mph) kilometers (and that is on their expressway) and the rest of the time it is 60 (37 mph) or 50 (31 mph).

7. The same house we first brought Addison home to.

8. How where ever you go, there is this very high pitched happy Japanese music coming from somewhere.

9. The fun fact you can drive the whole Island in a day. 

10.  How just the other day a Japanese mover asked me to move my car so they could unload furniture better and followed me to my car with an umbrella because it was raining.  I think I mentioned Customer Service right? 

2 comments:

The Blake Family said...

Ahhhh...take it all in now...and remember it. You will move, and if you are like us, you will remember how much you loved Japan and only pray that some day God will bring you back there. We miss it still, and it's been nearly a year since we moved (can you believe it?!?) We didn't realize how much we loved it until we were gone.

Stephanie said...

Definitely soak it up! I don't think that I'll ever fully 'heal' the Okinawa-shaped hole in my heart. It's a unique place and such an amazing time with friends. I'm getting all weepy over here :) We'll be happy to host nostalgia nights anytime you want and we're definitely anxious to have you nearby again!